• dariush's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
More
10 years 9 months ago #1787 by dariush
Lipid bilayer curvature was created by dariush
Dear All,

I have set up two bilayers:
1. 400 DOPC (200 in each leaflet)
2. 320DOPC+80CL (160DOPC and 40CL in each leaflet)

Both show curvature and it is larger in second case.
For first case also after adding protein I can see big curvature.
Is it normal? Is there any publication in this field (I have looked up and was not able to find anything close related to my question)? Which factor determine the curvature in bilayer, specially mixed bilayer.
I saw several papers that reported curvature for mixed bilayer, but they have more than 1000 lipids.

Thanks,
Dariush

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #1789 by xavier
Replied by xavier on topic Lipid bilayer curvature
Dear Dariush,

How did you measure the curvature?

A pure POPC bilateral should not have a significant curvature.

dariush wrote: Dear All,

I have set up two bilayers:
1. 400 DOPC (200 in each leaflet)
2. 320DOPC+80CL (160DOPC and 40CL in each leaflet)

Both show curvature and it is larger in second case.
For first case also after adding protein I can see big curvature.
Is it normal? Is there any publication in this field (I have looked up and was not able to find anything close related to my question)? Which factor determine the curvature in bilayer, specially mixed bilayer.
I saw several papers that reported curvature for mixed bilayer, but they have more than 1000 lipids.

Thanks,
Dariush

• dariush
  • dariush's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
More
10 years 9 months ago #1791 by dariush
Replied by dariush on topic Lipid bilayer curvature
Thank you for reply!

Actually, I have not see significant curvature in mono-type lipid bilayer. However, in this case also when I have added protein in water (to study protein-membrane interaction), then I saw curvature.

I have not measured the curvature, but it is clearly visible.
I am not sure if salvation, equilibration steps, ions or box size...may affect the curvature.
Since I have run for 200ns MD run in a NPT condition, I was thinking box size should not affect the curvature. Ions also were added to reach neutral condition. I do not know what is going on. I have asked people use AAMD, and they say in that small membrane you should not see the significant curvature.

Thanks,
Dariush

More
10 years 9 months ago #1792 by xavier
Replied by xavier on topic Lipid bilayer curvature
I agree with the AAMD people ... you should not see curvature, but it is not clear what you mean by curvature!

A protein may trigger curvature in a membrane bilayer but by itself a bilayer generally does not curve ... you may want to describe what you did/do in more detail to help us helping you.

dariush wrote: Thank you for reply!

Actually, I have not see significant curvature in mono-type lipid bilayer. However, in this case also when I have added protein in water (to study protein-membrane interaction), then I saw curvature.

I have not measured the curvature, but it is clearly visible.
I am not sure if salvation, equilibration steps, ions or box size...may affect the curvature.
Since I have run for 200ns MD run in a NPT condition, I was thinking box size should not affect the curvature. Ions also were added to reach neutral condition. I do not know what is going on. I have asked people use AAMD, and they say in that small membrane you should not see the significant curvature.

Thanks,
Dariush

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds