normal scaling factor about the free energy calculations

• xiaoyan_zheng
  • xiaoyan_zheng's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago #5274 by xiaoyan_zheng
Dear all,
I have a questions about the scaling factor used in martini force field:
We usually use the scaling factor to correct our simulation time, due to acceleration of the coarse grained potential.
Due to the smoother potential function of the CG force field, the corresponding potential energy surface became smoother than all -atomic MD, if we calculate the free energy barrier of some important process using martini force field, do we also need to correct our simulation results by a scaling factor ?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Xiaoyan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #5295 by mnmelo
Hi Xiaoyan,

No, there's no need to correct the free energies as the Martini force field was parameterized to correctly reproduce those quantities.

Cheers,
Manel

• xiaoyan_zheng
  • xiaoyan_zheng's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #5296 by xiaoyan_zheng
Replied by xiaoyan_zheng on topic scaling factor about the free energy calculations
Hi Manel,

Thanks for your kind reply. I just want to confirm this case.

Best regards,
Xiaoyan
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by xiaoyan_zheng.

More
8 years 4 months ago #5298 by peterkroon
Replied by peterkroon on topic scaling factor about the free energy calculations
I tend to disagree with Manuel here, Martini is parametrized to reproduce partition free energies, not activation energies. This would mean a scaling factor is indeed required.

That said, it can be that your activation energy is secretly a partition free energy, for example if you're looking at a transition across a membrane. For this and several other reasons, I daren't give any numbers.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds